[et_pb_section transparent_background=”off” allow_player_pause=”off” inner_shadow=”off” parallax=”off” parallax_method=”on” padding_mobile=”off” make_fullwidth=”off” use_custom_width=”off” width_unit=”off” custom_width_px=”1080px” custom_width_percent=”80%” make_equal=”off” use_custom_gutter=”off” fullwidth=”off” specialty=”off” admin_label=”section” disabled=”off”][et_pb_row make_fullwidth=”off” use_custom_width=”off” width_unit=”off” custom_width_px=”1080px” custom_width_percent=”80%” use_custom_gutter=”off” gutter_width=”3″ padding_mobile=”off” allow_player_pause=”off” parallax=”off” parallax_method=”on” make_equal=”off” column_padding_mobile=”on” parallax_1=”off” parallax_method_1=”on” parallax_2=”off” parallax_method_2=”on” parallax_3=”off” parallax_method_3=”on” parallax_4=”off” parallax_method_4=”on” admin_label=”row” disabled=”off”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ disabled=”off” parallax=”off” parallax_method=”on” column_padding_mobile=”on”][et_pb_text background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” admin_label=”Text” use_border_color=”off” border_style=”solid” disabled=”off”]
The third Monday in January is popularly referred to as “Blue Monday”. It’s a perfect storm of post-holiday let down, cold dark days, grey rainy weather (or icy blizzards, depending where you live), and frantic budgeting to find the funds to catch up after the extra spending that is a natural part of the festive season.
This year Blue Monday falls on January 16th. Today.
Here are some tips from the shed the debt® professionals at Goldhar &Associates to get you through Blue Monday:
- Focus on all the opportunities of this brand new year. Whatever your goals, whatever your challenges, you have a whole year to make progress. That’s a good thing.
- Don’t run away from the thought of your finances. January is an ideal time to take stock of where you are today, what you owe, and what you want to change.
- The RRSP deadline is the last day of February if you want to claim the deduction on your 2016 tax return. If you can afford to max out your available room for 2016, now is the time to do it.
- Open the credit card statements. Make a plan to pay off what you can as fast as you can. If you need three months, or even six months, to get those card balances in the black, budget for it.
- Make a resolution to manage your cashflow and day to day spending with smart strategies. Little things, like taking cash out of your own bank’s ATM to save on fees, and paying the utility and cellphone bills by the due date to save late payment fees, can add up to hundreds of dollars in savings over a year.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you can’t make sense of your finances, or can’t see light at the end of the debt tunnel. Call Goldhar at 1-855-541-5114, or fast dial #DEBT (#3328) on your mobile phone to arrange a confidential review of your finances. We can arrange a meeting quickly, sometimes on the same day, in one of our offices across Ontario, or in a place of your choosing. There is no fee for the meeting, and no obligation to proceed on any of the strategies recommended.
The start of a fresh year is a wonderful time to get ahead of your worries and take charge,
Beat Blue Monday and smile!